Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Tons of Dirt

Well, we finally have some pictures to show that there has been progress. The last time I posted, we had found out what we thought was a small amount of diesel oil from an old underground tank in our soil, about 200 tons worth. Well, yesterday we dug some more dirt up and found at least another 100-150 tons of contaminated soil. Well, it gets better than that! After Stephanie's and my final doctor appointmet for the baby before he arrives, I hustled home expecting all of the contaminated dirt to be gone. Well, the crew dug up another 150 tons of contaminated soil. I haven't seen the final number yet, but I am thinking that we shipped about 500 tons of contaminated soil out to a transfer station in Everett that will then ship it by train to Oregon and the soil will be burned... Wow, what a process. I keep reminding myself that this is just a speed bump in the process, but it is a little depressing that we kept finding more contaminated dirt. It is gone now, and the half swimming pool sized hole that they had dug within the hole has been filled, ready for foundation to get started!

So, tomorrow we will have the trackhoe operator back out to dig out the trenches for the foundation and I hope that the foundation guy will come out on Thursday to start framing the footing and by Monday or Tuesday of next week the foundation pouring will begin. I think that once this happens, I will really feel a sense of accomplishment and that we can move onto the next step.

Here are some pics I just took:



These pics can give an idea of how much dirt we took out. At the back end of the property, we took about 9 feet of dirt away.
As for baby news... Stephanie and I went in for our final pre-baby appointment and everything was great. Baby P is kicking up a storm and seems healthy. We will get to meet him very soon!

No comments: