Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Shoulder Surgery

On Thursday, June 24th, I went under the knife and had my right shoulder operated on. I hurt my shoulder while playing volleyball on May 28th at regionals and after getting back from nationals I decided to get an MRI. The MRI showed that I had a tear in my labrum and in my rotator cuff. Based on this information, and talking to about 20 of my friends who have had shoulder surgery, Stephanie and I decided that having surgery would be the best option, as opposed to just physical therapy.

The doctor left me a note and told me that the surgery went well. Here is what his note said:

You had:
1) Shredded Labrum.
2) Also damaged bicep tendon (too hammered to save)
3) Significant (75%) partial-thickness rotator cuff tear

We did:
1) Cut the bicep tendon inside the shoulder & attached it outside the shoulder so it will work fine (normally)
2) Trimmed back all the labral damage so it won't hurt anymore
3) Removed a large bone spur rubbing on the cuff
4) Repaired the cuff (good repair)

Since last Thursday, I have been in a sling and on heavy pain meds. I am not working on weaning off the meds and getting my small post surgery exercises in. Everything is going good so far and I head back to the doctor on Friday for the follow up. Hopefully everything will be looking good enough so that I can get my physical therapy scheduled and started.

Though I don't have any pictures of the surgery, here are a couple of the after shots when we took the bandage off.

No comments: